I
plan on making this project based on the #MeToo movement. I feel the topic of
rape and sexual assault needs to be discussed more in our society. There is a
high climate of rape and sexual assault charges in our society, but some of
those cases are either false or sweated under the rug. Sandra Newman, writer of
“What kind of person makes false rape accusations?” from Quartz states:
But my
research—including academic studies, journalistic accounts, and cases recorded
in the US National Registry of Exonerations—suggests that every part of this
narrative is wrong. What’s more, it’s wrong in ways that help real rapists escape
justice, while perversely making it more likely that we will miss the signs of
false reports.
In other words, it is difficult to categorized what is considered rape
or not. The reason why I want to base my
semester project on this subject is because I know a person close to me who has
been sexually assaulted, and their story needs to be heard; just like the other
survivors of sexual abuse. Also, I do not like how the #MeToo movement has
become very Hollywood. Hollywood glamorized this movement that is meant to
uplift those who have been affected by sexual abuse, where now it is a blame
game between others on who is a rapist. Due to this, society forgot its true
purpose of the movement. My overall goal is to put things in perspective. I
plan on creating a graphic novel with an original concept.
Last semester, in
my Computer Graphics class, I based my projects off of this topic. In the class,
I made a short-animated film and a graphic novel. My graphic novel was based
off of a woman who was sexually assaulted and becomes a vigilante and goes
after rapist and gives them justice. The purpose of this is how the character
of the story turned a negative to a positive. I want the charterer of my story
to empower people who are affected by sexual assault. I feel that in real life,
people who are victims of rape, they do not get any justice at the end. People
who commit these crimes usually walk free. According to Lindsey Weedston, of, Don’t Let Alleged Rapist Walk Free “An 18-year-old man was recently charged
with raping two women in one night and was only given probation. Worse, if
he upholds the conditions of his probation, his case will be dropped, and he
won’t have to add his name to the sex offender registry. All this man has to do
is not use drugs or alcohol and avoid contact with his victims for two years,
and it all goes away.” I wanted to create a hero because, sometimes,
rape survivors have no real heroes. The inspiration behind this graphic novel
is based on the superhero craze. Superheroes are meant to make people feel
empowered, and that is the goal.
The content behind
this comic is based off of Ana Mendieta. Ana Mendieta is a female activist and
artist. Her work consists of female rights, domestic violence, and rape
culture. The essence of my comic is going to be based off of her material. In the
graphic novel, I plan on incorporating a rape scene that is inspired by
Mendieta’s work. The design aspect of the comic is going to be inspired by Liz
Prince; is a well-known illustrator, her style consists of black and white
drawings and design. I enjoy the use of her use of negative and positive space;
I will be using in my graphic novel. The
use of black and white adds impact to a story. The images of how it is going to
be is going to be based off Georges Jeanty. Georges Jeanty is a comic book
artist, his work consist of Buffy the
Vampire Slayer comics, Deadpool
comics, and Batman comics. His style
of art is very serious and sharp. My goal is to mimic his style and make it my
own. My story is very serious, and I want the art work to match the theme of
the story.
I will be making
this graphic novel on Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I will make the layout
and create the drawings in Illustrator because Illustrator is made to create
sharp lines, making the overall look cleaner. I will be using Photoshop to
paste the layout and the drawings together. Most likely, the talk bubbles will
be made from Illustrator due to it is also made to create text. This will be
incorporated to my professional life because I am studying to become a graphic
designer. In that world I would need to know how to use editing programs like
Photoshop and Illustrator. When I am done making it, the graphic novel will
have two separate versions. One version to be posted on the internet and the
other version to be printed. For the printed version, I plan to get it
published at Printed Matter in Chelsea, New York City. Printed Matter is an
artist book store; they publish artists’ books.
![]() |
| Comic Sample |
![]() |
| Georges Jeanty sample |
![]() |
| Ana Mendieta sample |
| Liz Prince Sample |
Works Cited
Weedston, Lindsey.
“Don’t Let Alleged Rapist Walk Free.” ForceChange,
https://forcechange.com/160662/denounce-complete-lack-of-jail-time-for-convicted-rapist/
Newman, Sandra.
““What kind of person makes false rape accusations?” Quartz, https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-about-false-rape-accusations/



No comments:
Post a Comment