Who do you think you are?
My role in media consumption is significantly high. I spend
a lot of time on social media. The first thing I do after I wake up, is to
check my phone – read my emails and delete junk mail, check out Facebook, Instagram
and WhatsApp. I do that religiously every morning despite the fact how tired I
am. I read most or all of my messages but usually do not respond until later.
I am not as active on Facebook anymore but I still spend
everyday on Facebook to get an update on my friends and people I know (I make sure
that I do not have any strangers in my so called friend’s list). I usually spend
more time on Instagram – my page is public. I don’t care who follows me or not.
I usually do not post anything too personal but I do post a picture at least
once a week - usually of food and nice outdoor scenes. I prefer using Instagram
since you can scroll through pictures and interesting and educating video in a
short period of time. I like watching food preparation videos. Now I can learn how to cook a meal in less
than a minute.
I like reading trending news I frequently use Facebook or
Yahoo for that and other news apps such as, CNN and Times. I rarely watch the
news on TV since I have no control over what I can and cannot listen too. Even
though, I know I do not have control over what I read and don’t read online, at
least I feel like I have control. I also realize that the main headlines are
about Trump or the Kardashians – so much to “NEWS”! I also enjoy browsing
through funny, intellectual comments and/or trash fires. The reason why I do
that is not only because it is interesting what other peoples’ opinions are but
also sometimes I scroll down to get the main point of the articles. I am very
impatient and mostly I do not have the time or patience to read the whole
article.
I know I should not be but I’m very conserved when it comes
to sharing important facts or political stand points. I do not share my opinions
or political standpoints online. I do share it in person but somehow I do not
feel comfortable enough sharing everything online. You never know who reads it or when it
comes back to haut you. I’m an international student here in the U.S. and I kind of learned to keep
quit when it comes to political opinions. I keep quit on social media - I never
used Twitter before and I’m very much unfamiliar with it. When it comes to
expressing myself, I do so in person. Which will hopefully change sooner or
later. I know how important it is to stand up and speak out! It is clear that
social media is the main reason why people unite and fight for their rights. Alone
the #MeToo movement has brought together women of all ages, race, culture etc.
to stand up against sexual violence. Now women are strong enough to unite and
fight against it – no one is ashamed of admitting their traumatic events.
Thanks to the Me Too movement even men are more understanding and supportive of
women. The internet is powerful in so many ways. My relationship to social
media was not and is still not strong enough but when I can associate with
current issues, it will hopefully help me to have a stronger relationship.

No comments:
Post a Comment