I would say that if you are talking about influence, about maybe fifty percent is measured against media examples and images. An example of it being of influence would be when I saw a picture of a dead child's corpse on a shore during the Syrian Refugee Crisis, just a wave of sadness and a want for change splashed onto me. A more lighthearted example of influence by media is when the whole ice bucket challenge fad was making its way through the web. I remember that my family and I participated in it to join in on the fun. Besides my influence by media, I also think seeing a part of myself within it is also appreciated. As a queer person, I love to see gay couples or someone who is trans being represented in commercials or shows or movies. Obviously, there is still more work that needs to be done in that area but diversity within media really helps in the process of knowing that you are acknowledged.
A common experience is most definitely created by this new age of media. Just the wide availability for one to have a device that gets connected to the internet creates this giant network for anyone to share anything. As with the example of the Syrian Refugee boy, his picture went viral as well as a narrative that humanity should feel ashamed for the unneeded death of a child. People around the world who had no relation to this boy still felt empathy and had even been inspired to rise up and attempt to do something about this. When it came to the United States election everyone who was a citizen or just an outsider were keeping eyes on it. Media networks were great influencers in swaying the minds of the electorate whether it be to vote one way or the other. Whether or not that should be right is another story, but the media created a common topic that everyone had to talk about.
The ever so "none biased" mainstream media covers those who reek of activism or who do acts of resistance and protest as chickens without a head. I get very annoyed when anyone belittles protests and activists as if what they are doing is meaningless and will not amount to anything being done. Of course, this is not a new thing if you look back in American history. Before the emancipation of African slaves, there were many activist and abolitionist who spoke out against slavery. People belittled them but look at the change that happened with their help. If nobody speaks out nothing will ever change. Now, this is not to say that media outlets blankly does not cover protests, I mean look at the Women's March on Washington D.C in 2017. But mainstream media outlets need to get in their corporate heads that no longer can one choose whether or not to cover a protest for social media will just take your place.
No comments:
Post a Comment