When I was in Fourth Grade, my mom made me a Facebook
account. I remember thinking my life just got so much cooler because I was able
to chat with my peers from school and play games with my cousins who lived far
away from me. I updated my status daily and tried to be-friend as many people
as possible, this way, the next day at school I can brag about my hundreds of
friends. . .what a mistake. . . this was the start of my addiction.
Today, I wouldn’t necessarily call it addiction
because I believe I can separate from the internet from time to time, however,
the word just seems to fit. Like many others, the first thing I do when I wake
up, is check all my social media outlets. . . Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, you
get the jist. It has now become a part of my daily routine just like when I was
younger on Facebook. I go on them because sometimes I want to laugh, see what’s
up with my friends, and that’s my main source of news around the world. I
believe that I mainly get my humor and what I find funny from media. Other than
that, I would have to say my personality is what I built, and my views are
always my own, but it’s good to always see other perspectives.
Going back to how social media outlets are my
main source of news, I remember waking up on October 2nd and
checking my Twitter and found myself immediately crying. I looked on the moments
page, only to find out there has been another mass shooting, this time in Las
Vegas. All day I was checking for updates and finding out how I could help. If
it wasn’t for social media, I probably wouldn’t have known what had went on.
Some days it’s disappointing to see negative news that blow up because of what
happened on social media, but it also reminds me that I always need to be doing
x, y, and z to stay safe. At the same time, websites like Go Fund Me where
trending and they raised $15 million for everyone effected in this shooting. Which
I think is absolutely amazing because 20 maybe even 10 years ago, that wasn’t
even possible.
With media these days it is very easy to get self-absorbed
into society and what everyone else is doing. However, media isn’t just an outlet for feelings but
ways to spread news and get people aware of what is going on in the world.

No comments:
Post a Comment