My final project points out the importance of today’s #MeToo
movement. Sexual assault has been an issue that has been silenced and ignored
at college campuses, at work, and even in a private setting such as, at home.
My final project will focus on one of the most outspoken topics nowadays–
sexual assault.
Victims of sexual assault chose to hide the fact that they
have experienced rape and other forms of sexual harassments. Many of them
feared of being judged and felt shameful due to blaming themselves. Some sought
help through counseling, others through support groups, and some never did.
My goal for my final project is to bring survivors of sexual
assault together. Piece by piece. Each survivor is a piece of a larger puzzle
piece and together we can complete the puzzle. The completion of the whole
puzzle will help all individuals to find support, strengths and courage.
Since I will be moving to the D.C. area, my goal is to
create a support group for sexual assault victims. I first planned to create a
group on campus but since I’m graduating I would not be able to benefit from
it. I asked the reverent of my church if they could start a support group. She
agreed that it would be a great idea and even asked if I would like to lead it
with the help of Pastoral Visitors. I suggested the group should be called “Pieces
Of Us” since each individual is a part of that group.
"YES! What a great idea! Is this a group you would like to run? With support from Pastoral Visitors?"
My projects for now will only focus on women. It is important
to remember that the majority of women have been assaulted by other men. They
might feel uncomfortable showing vulnerability in front of other men.
Eventually, when the group starts growing this specific support group can
welcome male sexual assault victims as well.
I created a poster by using glue (paste), newspaper, acrylic
paint, carton and paper. My poster is a large puzzle piece in the light teal
color – which is the color of sexual assault awareness. In the center of the
puzzle are three arms that form a fist pointed in the air. The title of the
poster (group) is “Pieces Of Us” which is spread on the poster. The title is in
golden to present the value of each individual.

My final project has been inspired by my church. Back in
February, the topic of the sermon was; #MeToo. During the sermon, survivors of
sexual assault stood up and shared their story. In order to show support
attendees at the church raised their fists in the air – showing power and strength.
By the end of the sermon everyone that have been affected by sexual assault was
asked to take a piece of a puzzle. By the end, the reverent mentioned that each
puzzle piece is a piece of a large picture. Every survivor of sexual assault is
connected one way or the other.
I designed my poster for my church in Bethesda, Maryland.
With that poster. My goal is to bring attention to other victims of sexual
assault. At the other side of my poster is a list where I will ask women to anonymously
sign with a number. On that side of the poster I will also invite other women
the attend an interest meeting. During that interest meeting other women will
be asked to share their ideas for the support group.
Now, thanks to the #MeToo movement, more victims come
forward with their past experience. Some even feel as strong as filing a police
report. Now, more and more rapists are being changed with their crimes. (Bill
Cosby). With this support group I want to help survivors learn about their
rights and also bring awareness to the outdated laws that need to be altered.
“There is a movement to want to do something, to want to change
things, to take rape as serious as it is.”
References:
Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church | Where Love Works. (1970, May 09). Retrieved from/ https://www.cedarlane.org/
O'Dell, J. C. (2017, January 20). Need a poster for the Women's March? Here are tons of great ones to download or copy. Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/256283035025698897/



No comments:
Post a Comment