For my final project I choose the controversial topic of gun control. This topic's very opionate sides has spread like a virus not only throughout the United States but the world. Many young adults and teenagers are taking politcal stances in order to save our lives. Like them, I to want to inspire others in joing the fight. I created an urn in memorial of all those who lost the lives to a fire arm and will present an informative speech at a gun violence assembly in a high school, in hopes of insipring others to save their lives, their friends, their families, their teachers, bosses, team mates, peers... everybody.
On March 26th, 2018 I started painting my piece that I created in my ceramics and civilization class. My piece is an urn and I am dedicating it to all of those who lost their lives to a bullet. No . . . I am not just dedicating this to the victims of school shootings, or hate crimes. . . you know. . . the horrific, nauseating, vile broadcasts that we see so often on media. But too everyone . . . so far... in 2018 it is every
On March 26th, 2018 I started painting my piece that I created in my ceramics and civilization class. My piece is an urn and I am dedicating it to all of those who lost their lives to a bullet. No . . . I am not just dedicating this to the victims of school shootings, or hate crimes. . . you know. . . the horrific, nauseating, vile broadcasts that we see so often on media. But too everyone . . . so far... in 2018 it is every
13,000 gun related incidents.
3,548 lives lost to a bullet.
6,206 wounded humans.
153 children aged 0 - 11 killed or injured by a fire arm.
642 teenagers aged 12 – 17 who will never receive their diploma.
54 reported mass shootings.
68 reported officer involved incident, where the officer was shot or killed.
589 reported home invasions armed with a gun.
524 reported incidents where a gun was used for defensive.
At the time of painting . . . March 26th, 2018 these. . . these were the statistics of gun violence in America throughout 2018 only. Now, as of today . . . I dedicate it to;
All 19,014 incidents of gun violence.
All 4,703 lives lost to a bullet.
All 8,398 wounded humans.
All 197 children aged 0 - 11 and 827 teens aged 12 – 17 who will never receive their diploma.
The reported 80 mass shootings.
The 88 reported officer involved incident where the officer was shot or killed.
The reported 693 home invasions armed with a gun
The reported 542 defensives used and 549 unintentional shooting with a gun
It’s important that you know the numbers and how in just little over one month. . . they climbed so drastically. 13,000 went to almost 19,000 and 642 to 819.
Unfortunately, those who are taking a stand and becoming the face of the nation and all of our voices are still getting shot down. . . by the politicians reaching into the NRA’s or the National Rifle Association of America wallet. . . which is simply just twisted.
![]() |
| Jonathan Ferrara Excalibur No More, 2014 Source: artspace.com |
Believe it or not but each and every one of us and the 5 million members can simply walk into a store a purchase a fire arm. . . very minimal questions asked.
When purchasing a gun, you are required to fill out a form with questions like;
Are you a fugitive from justice?
Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
The firearms store than calls the FBI to run a background check in the matter of minutes. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System also called the NICS scans databases for all kinds of information. Only if a buyer has had some conviction or misdemeanor, and or declared mentally defective by a court. . . the will get denied. According to the FBI’s website, denials are less than 1% of the time.
1 percent . . . more people fail their drivers test for not stopping for a full 3 Mississippi seconds at a stop sign. Once again. . . twisted.
If that number was higher maybe the numbers I previously stated would be much lower.
It is in our power. . .the ones who understand the fear. Who understand that one day it is possible to be waking up for the last time. Who understand that after 9 months spent creating a life. . . watching them walk into their elementary school, that there have been others who were brought out in a bloody body bag. The ones who understand that those who could no longer stand to be on this earth, who’s mind got the best of them, that it is possible to end it all. 9 out of 10 suicide attempts with a gun are fatal, more so than any other forms of suicide.
![]() |
| Source: Gun Violence By The Numbers |
I want to quickly mention and end on a woman whose name is Nancy Taylor. She wrote an article for the Washington Post titledMy Husband Shouldn’t Have Had A Gun. She talks about her husband committing suicide and how she did not want the guns in the house in the first place. He struggled with a mental illness and even had had the guns taken away before for a previous attempt at killing himself, but eventually regained possession. Every time he purchased a new firearm she wondered if that would be the gun to kill him.
But I dedicate this too everyone. Every live lost to a bullet... I dedicate this to you.
But I dedicate this too everyone. Every live lost to a bullet... I dedicate this to you.
Presentation
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vTH44sblkrn-8Uzz7cwe5WMDmVVznYEOTGI7_g6Mi8X_6LjcLT5O1i0hJWV2vYZQ8wJIuvVCHdnE7SQ/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=10000
Additonal Links
https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-by-the-numbers/
This website lists addtional statistics on gun violence like "On average day, 96 Americans are killed with guns" and "Black men are 13 times more likely than white men to be shot and killed with guns."
https://youtu.be/bX4qUsgHa4Y
This video breaks down the Unites States gun problems in 18 statistical charts.
Work Cited
Taylor, Nancy. “My Husband Shouldn't Have Had a Gun.” Chicagotribune.com, 15 Sept. 2017, www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-gun-suicide-husband-death-20170915-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/my-husband-shouldnt-have-had-a-gun/2017/09/14/6cda8806-98b7-11e7-b569-3360011663b4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.032db5ee7742
Hochberger, Colleen. “7 Artworks Taking a Stance on Gun Violence.” Artspace, 4 Dec. 2017, www.artspace.com/magazine/interviews_features/in_brief/7-artworks-taking-a-stance-on-gun-violence-55128.
https://www.artspace.com/magazine/interviews_features/in_brief/7-artworks-taking-a-stance-on-gun-violence-55128
Sit, Ryan. “Here's Why the NRA Is so Powerful and Why Gun Control Advocates Have Reason for Hope.” Newsweek, 22 Feb. 2018, www.newsweek.com/nra-gun-control-parkland-florida-school-shooting-campaign-donations-813940.
http://www.newsweek.com/nra-gun-control-parkland-florida-school-shooting-campaign-donations-813940
“Gun Violence Archive.” Gun Violence Archive,www.gunviolencearchive.org/.
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org





No comments:
Post a Comment