Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Final Project/ Video Project/ Unfair Treatment Towards Females in the Gaming Community

For my final project I have created a video  project that shows how women that play video games are being harassed and being treated horribly in the gaming community.  Women have a lot of stigma in the gaming community by male players.  Either they get harassed or hit on, most of the time they are always bothered because of their gender.  In the video I show some examples of how women are being treated poorly by using clips of other people's perspective.  In my video, I also use my own clips by posing as a females gamer.  I mostly got hit on and show one of my friends being afraid to talk because of the toxic environment.  At the end of my video I interview one of my friends on her opinion on whats its like on being a female gamer.  All of my clips are from a game called VRchat, which is a social game where you talk with people or play mini-games.  I plan on using Youtube as a way to spread my video and awareness on how women are being treated in the gaming community.
I will credit the artist and clips I have used in my video.  The inspiration of this was from documentaries on Youtube about female professional players.  I wanted to delve into the casual players as well as professional players.  Both communities treat women in a negative manner.


I do plan on updating the video every now and then because there is a lot of clips I can still use in the future or obtain more clips to add.  I also want to add different genre of games to show not only people on a casual social game are being harassed but in other genres too.  I can also use this project to show how most men act online when they encounter a female player.  The idea of this project being a video came from Joyce Yu-Jean Lee's State of DysUnion art exhibition.  Her projects involved controlling the environment and making the viewer immerse themselves in her art was her goal.  She wanted the viewer to keep their attention and make them think for more than a couple of minutes, then that would have been considered a success in her eyes.  That something similar I want to do, I want to capture the viewers attention with my video.  It may be a long video but with my editing, hopefully I can capture their attention.

Examples that I use are from Pokelawls stream with Vigor talking about "How useless E-Girls are." I use this clip at the start of my example part of the video to point out how some guys think of female players.  The other inspiration for my video is the documentaries on how women are being treated in the professional side in the gaming community.  Pro female players get harassed more than causal players because of their fame.


*Note that this is not the final product but this is just the layout of what I have so far, I do plan on updating this and adding more content to this in the future.


Final Project
 


 Bibliography:

No comments:

Post a Comment