The first two pages of the Khampagne Kola VOL. 1 (BETA) zine/thinkpiece centered around black masculinity and identity. While the whole class has been focused on using art as a way to intersect with politics, most of my references and inspirations come from outside the classroom readings. However we spoke on bell hooks, a black feminist who uses her voice to educate the masses about equality, toxic/hypermasculinity, etc. The first inspiration is the black men that have posed in unconventional ways. The black men who have showed different sides of masculinity. I hope that the content of the piece is added to conversations surrounding said topic and I hope that I can make this into an official publication.
![]() |
| Skepta & PLayboi Carti |
![]() |
| Rae Sremmurd |
The conversations that these provoked on social media was really the basis behind the piece. Seeing the different opinions, views, and thoughts was an eye opener. Social media as a tool for social reform has become one of the biggest devices of our generation.
The next inspiration being the works of other black persons that discussed masculinity, finding inspiration in the words of Jonathan Higgins' work at 'theroot.com', learning about Shantrelle Lewis' Dandy Lion Project I thought about not just masculinity but also the identity of black men once that masculinity was shaped.
Last but not least, my own personal narrative played a big part in why I wanted to focus on this. I think that I have absorbed enough, through my own experiences and listening & learning through others about black masculinity, what it means, what it looks like, etc. Being able to find a story within stories, being able to voice an opinion, talk out problems, and correct bad habits is what the Reconstruction of black masculinity is all about. I was able to find that by exploring this topic I found my own peace & am continuing to do so.
![]() |
| The Dandy Lion Project |
Link to project:
https://www.canva.com/design/DAC2Jnu6DPI/-lKCL5S6Epl50nPGOAlZ4Q/view?utm_content=DAC2Jnu6DPI&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton
References:
https://www.utne.com/politics/reconstructing-black-masculinity-ze0z1705zcoy
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-dandy-lion-project-black-masculinity_us_57bb060be4b00d9c3a189f2a
https://www.theroot.com/the-tragedies-of-black-masculinity-1794410625
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/defining-black-masculinity





No comments:
Post a Comment